Temperature excursions cost money and most of all… they can take patient lives.
$35 Billion*, this is the losses associated with temperature excursions in healthcare:
- 44% in lost product cost
- 25% in root cause analysis
- 17% in clinical trial loss
- 11% in replacement costs
- 3% in wasted logistics costs
Why? Incorrect shipping, logistics issues or broken cold chain.
For example, patients vaccinations can prevent and control a number of infectious diseases. However, since vaccines are sensitive to both heat and cold, they need to be maintained within a narrow temperature range, often referred to as the ‘cold-chain’. The percentage of drugs that have to be stored in a constantly controlled environment is growing every year.
If drug quality is compromised by exposure to inappropriate conditions during transportation and storage, patients may suffer adverse consequences. The worst part of this is that most patients are not aware of this problem.
“I was not aware my vaccine could become toxic with a change in temperature. I was taking my time on the way back home”.
Have you ever had a fever after receiving your injection? Did you know that it can even become ineffective? Or worse… dangerous.
Patients are not well enough informed about this situation. In fact, lack of information, lack of support and lack of simplicity lead to bad adherence to treatment. Fifty percent (50%) of patients in Europe and the US are not taking their medicines as prescribed.
That’s part of Sofrigam’s mission:
- Designing the best temperature controlled packaging for pharmaceutical company’s challenges (clinical trials, patient care, last miles, vaccination campaigns) and for patients (patient’s bags and education on cold chain)
- While helping patients understand that the cold chain is a key factor in the success of their therapy.